Wednesday 22 October 2008

But is it RPG?

GameSetWatch has an article up about Monstania, a somewhat obscure Japanese SNES title now available through the powers of ROM and fansubbing. I mention it because this is the game I was talking about during some discussion on the Rampant Coyote about what constituted an RPG. This game, in my opinion, did not, owing to the complete lack of ability on the player's part to customise the characters and their development. It's a 'strategy' (I suspect 'tactics' is more appropriate, but less common usage in game genre) game. You take what you're given and you fight with it. You have highly specific rules and you learn to work with them.

I don't think it's a bad game, either, despite that article's dismay. It's just not an RPG. If you know what you're getting into, it's enjoyable. Constantly referring to it as a bad roguelike is missing the point.

No comments: