Wednesday 15 June 2011

reasons why I will never make it in sales

The idea of trying to describe working in a style that's older than I am as "pioneering a new genre of literature" sticks in my craw.

Yes, grandiose language is all part of raising interest and funding. I understand that. But I can't do it. I'm not naming names because that would be rude, but seeing that sort of thing makes me want to backstab the author rather than support them. That probably makes me a bad person.

For that matter, I've written legitimately groundbreaking stuff and not made that much fuss about it. :) While Fatal Hearts was not absolutely the first fully branching plot adventure game, it was pretty new territory. It's STILL not particularly well-explored territory, although it's now slightly more well known because of 999. (my research on the subject after I finished writing the game revealed a sum total of one other video game in existence that might qualify as the same genre, and I'd never heard of it and I still haven't played it. There may be a few mores somewhere and it partly depends on where you draw the line. Several adventure games had a choice at or near the end that changed the outcome you got, but that's not the same thing.)

No comments: